You must have obtained your valid marriage license and have it “in hand” before local ministers can perform any ceremony for you.
- Both participants must be 18 years of age (Public Chapter 1049, effective 5-21-2018, see below)
- Present one of the following: a valid driver's license, a state-issued photo ID, state ID card, military ID passport and Social Security number
- If either of you have been divorced or widowed, you will need to know the exact date that the divorce was final, or date of death. If the bride has had a name change in her divorce and has not had her name changed on her driver's license, she will need to provide a certified copy of her divorce decree
- There is no blood test
- There is no waiting period
- License must be used within 30 days of issuance
- License can be used same day as applied for
- Fee for out of state residents is $41.00 cash, or we also accept Visa or Mastercard with a small processing fee
- Fee for Tennessee residents is $101.00 cash, or we also accept Visa or Mastercard with a small processing fee. The $60.00 fee will be waived if applicants complete a four hour premarital course and present a notarized certificate of completion, which can be obtained through our office.
2018 Public Chapter 1049, effective May 21, 2018
- Marriages involving an applicant that is under the age of 18:
- No marriage license can be issued to anyone under 17 years old. No exceptions.
- If one applicant is between the ages of 17 and 18, the other applicant cannot be more than four years (48 months) older. No exceptions.
- If an applicant is between the ages of 17 and 18, and the other applicant is not more than four years older, the county clerk may issue the license IF the minor applicant's parents, guardian, next or kin, or other person(s) or entity having legal custody of the minor applicant personally appear and join in on the application OR submit a sworn and notarized affidavit. A sample affidavit is attached. Consent is not required if the minor applicant has been emancipated. A minor may be emancipated by court order, or by previous marriage (see T.C.A. § 36-3-106, as amended). (Must bring court documents at time of application for license)
- The provisions allowing judges to waive the age restrictions have been repealed. Underage marriages can no longer be authorized by court order.
If a minor child is interested in applying for a marriage license, you will need to contact our office for specifics. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at any time.
125 COURT AVE SUITE 202E
SEVIERVILLE, TN 37862
Mon. - Fri. 8 am-4:30 pm
Drive-thru window for tag renewals only.
405 REAGAN DRIVE
GATLINBURG, TN 37788
Mon., Wed., Fri. 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Closed from 1 - 2 p.m.
300 PINE MOUNTAIN RD
PIGEON FORGE, TN 37863
Saturday only 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
We are located behind